This 5 day series for the home chef will teach you a set of dessert base-recipes, each one with the ability to become many additional variations. By learning these base recipes you will not only be able to build an intuitive sense for how things work in the pastry kitchen, but also have the freedom to create innovative desserts on your own.
Regardless of your current baking level, this series will instill more confidence, techniques and inspiration in the kitchen. Collective benefits of the series include:
- Pâte à Choux, Pastry Cream, and Pâte à Feuilletée: Learn the base dough for éclairs, cream puffs, profiteroles, and gougeres as well as the traditional custard and fruit curd fillings, and foolproof chocolate glaze. You will also begin to explore the ins and outs of tart and pie dough.
- Pies, Tarts, Turnovers, and Mini-Pies: Learn the art of a tender, flaky pie crust and how to marry it with a variety of fillings, from fruit to chocolate. You’ll also learn how to prep pies and tarts in advance, and even ways to use the dough to create simple cookies.
- Cookies, Cakes and Cupcakes: Learn the secrets of mixing, baking, and frosting a variety of cakes as well as tips on how to frost and ice like a pro. You will also learn to prepare loaf cakes, such as pound cake, as well as a variety of icings. Finally, you will acquire the skills to assemble cakes for special occasions.
- Custards, Sauces and Toppings: Learn how to make the perfect cheese cake with various toppings, Churn your own ice cream mixture. We’ll discuss the different types of dessert sauces and teach you some of our favorite toppings.
- Kitchen safety, cleanliness and sanitation
- Nutrition in today’s food
- How to read and measure recipe ingredients correctly
- Cooking methods and variations
- Ingredient selections at the Farmer’s Market
- Baking & Pastry creation
- How to bake with ease, speed and confidence
- How to develop creativity in your baking without adding complexity
- How and why ingredients work
- Essential baking terms and techniques
- How to make your cakes come out light and fluffy every time
- How to serve and present your desserts beautifully
- How to bake with fresh, healthful, and flavor
- And much more…
Winter/Spring Schedule 2018
|EVENING SESSION PT I||WED | JAN 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 (5 classes)||6:30 pm – 9:00 pm||SEATS AVAILABLE||$250.00
|EVENING SESSION PT I||WED | MAR 7, 14, 21, 28; APR 4 (5 classes)||6:30 pm – 9:00 pm||SEATS AVAILABLE|