baking & pastry
If you’ve been working in a kitchen, or have taken an introductory cooking class before, and want to take your next steps to uping your skills, then our courses and class series is the right fit for you.
This hands on baking series for the home chef will teach you a set of dessert base-recipes, each one with the ability to become many additional variations. By learning these base recipes you will not only be able to build an intuitive sense for how things work in the pastry kitchen, but also have the freedom to create innovative desserts on your own.
- French Pastries I (Pâte à Choux): Learn the base dough for éclairs, cream puffs, profiteroles, and gougeres as well as the traditional custard and fruit curd fillings, and foolproof chocolate glaze. You will also begin to explore the ins and outs of tart and pie dough.
- Pies & Tarts: Learn the art of a tender, flaky pie crust and how to marry it with a variety of fillings, from fruit to chocolate. You’ll also learn how to prep pies and tarts in advance.
- Biscuits, Scones & Muffins: Learn the tips to making tender scones and flaky biscuits, such as how to properly cut butter into flour. Together we’ll make Bacon Cheddar scones, Lemon Glazed scones and Southern style Buttermilk Biscuits. Simple and delicious, these staples will surely become household favorites!
- Donuts & Fritters: Do you know that you can create sweet, airy, donuts in your own home kitchen with a few ingredients you probably already have in your pantry? Sure, making a donut run on Sunday morning can be fun but making donuts from scratch is something else entirely. In this class you’ll learn the secrets to making donuts at home.
Wednesday | 6:30pm – 9:00pm
Cake Decorating Programs
Whether you’re looking to start a cake decorating business or just make cakes for family and friends, our cake decorating classes will teach you all you need to know to turn out professionally decorated cakes.
Our bread series is designed to help you build a foundational set of skills to both prepare and handle a variety of leavened doughs. There are two separate courses: Bread Fundamentals One and Bread Fundamentals Two. These courses are designed to expand your technical knowledge of WHY bread baking works while improving HOW you develop, handle, and shape bread dough.
- KNEAD to Know: is an essential start for students who desire to successfully learn the art of bread baking. Even if you have baked a loaf or two in the past or in recent months, this class endeavors to answer the questions of how to know you are going to pull a beautiful loaf from the oven every time.
- Baguette, Bagel & Brioche class will give you (and your hands) an interactive and engaging experience you’ll not soon forget. The class will focus on preparing pre-ferment (tech talk for adding old dough to new dough) preparing dough with hand kneading as well as mixer. Learn shaping, slashing, and loading all in a home oven. We’ll teach you all the elements to make that perfect bagel; properly made dough, punching, topping, and baking You’ll take home baked loaves, dough ready to be risen and baked. In addition to that, we will also supply you with everything you need to do all of this at home. Lunch included.
Sourdough 101 While this class was aimed at people who have some bread baking experience, we’ve found people who’ve never touched dough also do just fine.
We’ll take your bread making skills to the next level, teaching you how to make good breads with sourdough. You’ll learn how to care for a starter, how to feed a starter, how to tell when your starter is ready for use and how to convert existing recipes into sourdough recipes.
Seeded Country loaf This is the loaf for folks who want a hearty crusted bread, full of flavor. Toasted in the morning, dripping with honey, this bread will get you through the chilliest of mornings. The class will cover all the basics of the other classes; mixing, kneading, scaling, and forming loaves. We will cover baking directly on slate as well as baking in cast iron. Three variations will be included, highly to minimally seeded. Students will leave with baked bread as well as dough to finish at home.
Saturday | 10:00am – 2:00pm