This hands on baking series for the home chef will teach you a set of dessert base-recipes, each one with the ability to become many additional variations. By learning these base recipes you will not only be able to build an intuitive sense for how things work in the pastry kitchen, but also have the freedom to create innovative desserts on your own.
Regardless of your current baking level, this series will instill more confidence, techniques and inspiration in the kitchen. Collective benefits of the series include:
- French Pastries I (Pâte à Choux): Learn the base dough for éclairs, cream puffs, profiteroles, and gougeres as well as the traditional custard and fruit curd fillings, and foolproof chocolate glaze. You will also begin to explore the ins and outs of tart and pie dough.
- Pies & Tarts: Learn the art of a tender, flaky pie crust and how to marry it with a variety of fillings, from fruit to chocolate. You’ll also learn how to prep pies and tarts in advance.
- Biscuits, Scones & Muffins: Learn the tips to making tender scones and flaky biscuits, such as how to properly cut butter into flour. Together we’ll make Bacon Cheddar scones, Lemon Glazed scones and Southern style Buttermilk Biscuits. Simple and delicious, these staples will surely become household favorites!
- Donuts & Fritters: Making a donut run on Sunday morning can be fun but making donuts from scratch is something else entirely. Learn the secrets to making donuts.
- French Pastries II (Pâte à Feuilletée): Learn the techniques behind making puff pastry. You’ll create from a selection of cheese Danish, apple turnovers, strawberry napoleons, apple Tarte Tatin just to name a few.
- Cakes & Cookies: Learn the secrets of mixing, baking, and frosting a variety of cakes as well as tips on how to frost and ice like a pro. You’ll also create Madeleine and financiers, cakelike cookies.
- Croissants: Learn step-by-step directions for making croissant dough to create a variety of flaky and incredible croissants. Using the buttery dough, the class will prepare plain croissants, Kouign-Amann, Pain au chocolat, plus the popular donut-croissant for cronut lovers.
- Chocolate & Confections: Learn how to work with sugar across a wide spectrum of final cooking temperatures while making an assortment of confections, like fudge, caramel, and marshmallows. Learn how to manufacture chocolate, produce candy and confections, use chocolate molds and create professional chocolate recipes.
PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE NO SUBSTITUTIONS, MAKE-UP DAYS OR CREDIT FOR MISSED CLASSES! IF YOU MUST MISS A CLASS IN THE SERIES YOU CAN SEND SOMEONE IN YOUR
FEB 3, 10, 17, 24
6:30 pm – 9:00 pm