This hands on baking series for the home chef will teach you a set of dessert base-recipes, each one with the ability to become many additional variations. By learning these base recipes you will not only be able to build an intuitive sense for how things work in the pastry kitchen, but also have the freedom to create innovative desserts on your own.
Regardless of your current baking level, this series will instill more confidence, techniques and inspiration in the kitchen. Collective benefits of the series include:
BAKING ESSENTIALS I
- French Pastries I (Pâte à Choux): Learn the base dough for éclairs, cream puffs, profiteroles, and gougeres as well as the traditional custard and fruit curd fillings, and foolproof chocolate glaze. You will also begin to explore the ins and outs of tart and pie dough.
- Pies & Tarts: Learn the art of a tender, flaky pie crust and how to marry it with a variety of fillings, from fruit to chocolate. You’ll also learn how to prep pies and tarts in advance.
- Biscuits, Scones & Muffins: Learn the tips to making tender scones and flaky biscuits, such as how to properly cut butter into flour. Together we’ll make Bacon Cheddar scones, Lemon Glazed scones and Southern style Buttermilk Biscuits. Simple and delicious, these staples will surely become household favorites!
- Donuts & Fritters: Making a donut run on Sunday morning can be fun but making donuts from scratch is something else entirely. Learn the secrets to making donuts.
BAKING ESSENTIALS II
- French Pastries II (Pâte à Feuilletée): Learn the techniques behind making puff pastry. You’ll create from a selection of cheese Danish, apple turnovers, strawberry napoleons, just to name a few.
- Artisan Bread: Bread is a delicious necessity with every meal, and there is nothing like the mouthwatering aroma of fresh bread wafting through the house. Once you learn the basics, you’ll find that making fresh, homemade bread is an absolute delight. We will show you how to master the art of bread making. In this class, you will learn about blooming yeast, mixing doughs, proofing and baking breads to create fresh-baked breads that you and your family will savor.
- Cake 101: Discover the art of creating beautiful and delicious layer cakes with us. From beginning to end, this hands-on class will mix, bake, and frost cakes. We’ll discover the secrets behind 3 types of cakes, chocolate cake, yellow cake, and sponge cake; 3 types of icings, buttercream, whipped cream and cream cheese frostings. Great class for beginners.
- Gourmet Cookies: Learn how to prepare a gourmet spread of cookies using easy-to-master culinary techniques in this cooking class with Chef Wynton. Begin by making classic French butter cookies known as langue de chat. Madeleines are little delicate cakelike cookies that are baked in special molds that give them a beautiful shell shape. Linzer cookies are a traditional sandwich cookie with a tender texture and subtle nutty flavor. It’s filled with a tangy raspberry jam and finished with plenty of powdered sugar.
PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE NO SUBSTITUTIONS, MAKE-UP DAYS OR CREDIT FOR MISSED CLASSES! IF YOU MUST MISS A CLASS IN THE SERIES YOU CAN SEND SOMEONE IN YOU
Baking Essentials II
JUL 21, 28; AUG 4, 11
6:30 pm – 9:00 pm